To enable students in straightforward scenarios to:
- prepare tax computations for individuals and companies;
- understand the tax implications of a course of action; and
- explain potential tax treatments of transactions.
On completion of this module, students will be able to:
- recognise the ethical issues arising in the course of performing tax work and identify the obligations the UK system of taxation imposes on taxpayers and the implications for taxpayers of non-compliance;
- calculate the amount of VAT owed by or owed to businesses;
- calculate the amount of stamp taxes due in straightforward transactions;
- calculate the capital gains tax payable by individuals;
- calculate the amounts of inheritance tax due on lifetime transfers and transfers on death by individuals, personal representatives and trustees;
- calculate the corporation tax liabilities of companies;
- calculate the amounts of income tax owed by or owed to individuals; and
- calculate the amounts of national insurance payable by individuals, businesses and companies.