To enable students to demonstrate quantitative and qualitative skills, in order to make realistic business recommendations in complex scenarios. Business awareness will need to be demonstrated at strategic, operating and transactional levels.
To achieve this aim, students will be required to use technical knowledge and professional judgement to apply appropriate models and to analyse quantitative and qualitative data from multiple sources, including corporate reports, in order to evaluate alternatives and determine appropriate solutions.
On completion of this module, in a national or global context, and for a range of different business structures and industry scenarios, students will be able to:
- analyse and identify the external environment and internal strategic capability of an entity; evaluate the consequences of strategic choices; recommend strategies to achieve stakeholder objectives, recommend appropriate methods of implementing strategies and monitoring strategic performance; manage business risks; and advise on corporate governance.
- identify and advise upon appropriate finance requirements; evaluate financial risks facing a business and advise upon appropriate methods of measuring and managing those risks; provide valuations for businesses and securities; and advise upon investment and distribution decisions.
- identify and explain ethical issues. Where ethical dilemmas arise, students will be able to recommend and justify and determine appropriate actions and ethical safeguards to mitigate threats.
- interpret and apply corporate reporting information in evaluating business and financial performance; recognize and explain the corporate reporting consequences of business and financial decisions; apply corporate reporting information in appropriate models to determine asset, equity and entity valuations, demonstrating an understanding of the usefulness and limitations of accounting information in this context.
- appraise and explain the role of assurance in raising new equity and debt funding and in the subsequent monitoring of such funding arrangements; understand, explain and evaluate the role of assurance in selecting and implementing key business decisions including acquisitions and strategic alliances; understand and explain the role of assurance in financial and business risk management.